Expert Moving Advice in Houston
Organizational Tips & Advice for Moving
Organization is key when it comes to moving efficiently and successfully. Here is a compilation of some of the best advice on moving to begin your relcation preparations:
- Decide on a moving date. We recommend avoiding Fridays and bank holidays as moving companies are in higher demand. Opting for off-peak times, such as mid-week, allows you to have more flexibility with schedules.
- Be prepared! Ensure your possessions are insured for transit. Most moving companies provide some type of insurance, but double checking what it covers and if there are any exclusions can be critical if your belongings get damaged in the move. For example, sometimes moving companies will exclude their insurance on items that you pack.
- Hire professional cleaners to give your new place a thorough cleaning before you move in. Some moving companies can arrange to do this for you. You’ll save a lot of time and energy not worrying about cleaning your new home.
- Get someone to look after the kids for the day. The entire moving process will go a lot faster if you aren’t worrying about where those little rascals might have gone. The same goes for pets! Set up boarding at a kennel in advance so that you don’t have to worry about your pets getting loose.
- Round up all the keys to your old home, including those left with neighbors, babysitters and relatives, and give them to your realtor, leasing agent or new occupant.
- Make a scale plan of each room in your new home to give to the moving company so they know exactly where everything is going. Color-code packing boxes, cases and furniture can help items and furniture end up in the right rooms at your new location.
- Final preparations should include making a moving checklist of everything to be moved and contacting your services for your new address change:
- Telephone and internet service providers
- Bank, home owner association, and any company with which you have loans or investments
- Credit card and store card companies
- Subscriptions to magazines
- The schools your children attend
- Friends, family and colleagues
6-8 Weeks Before Your Move
- Clean out basement, attic, garage, and closets
- Determine items to keep, discard, donate, or sell
- Contact moving companies to obtain quotes for your move
4-6 Weeks Before Your Move
- Send furniture, drapes, and carpets for cleaning or repair
- Select a moving company and confirm your moving date
- Order packing supplies and arrange for their delivery
- Secure elevators, loading docks, or parking permits, if necessary
3-4 Weeks Before Your Move
- Begin packing seldom-used items such as fine china, holiday decorations, and storage areas
- File a change of address form with Post Office
- Contact charities to arrange pickup of items to be donated
- Notify utility companies and arrange for transfer of services
- Notify all banks, insurance companies, brokerage houses, service providers, and creditors of address change
2 Weeks Before Your Move
- Begin packing all but essential items
- Finalize closing times with real estate attorney or mortgage company
- Organize all bills, stocks, insurance policies, and bank account statements
- Make special arrangements for children and pets on moving day
- If not moving locally, obtain all medical, dental, and veterinarian records
1 Week Before Your Move
- Complete packing of all non-essential items
- Transfer prescriptions
- Discontinue home delivery of newspapers and magazines
1 Day Before Your Move
- Put aside a box or suitcase of essential items (soap, towels, bowls, spoons, clothes, etc.)
- Defrost freezers and drain gas from lawnmowers, snow blowers, etc.
- Clearly label all items not to be moved
- Keep cash, jewelry, credit cards, and checkbook with you
Contact Max Movers, Inc. to learn how we can provide you with more Houston moving advice.